Our Staycation on Coronado Island

Tanner and I went on a little staycation to Coronado Island this last weekend and it was absolutely wonderful. I've mentioned before that Coronado is my favorite place in San Diego, and this weekend just solidified that fact even more. 

On Friday night, we ran all of our weekend errands to allow us to have a worry-free weekend getaway. We woke up on Saturday morning, packed our bags and headed to the island. One of the nice things about the staycations, and being relatively close to home is that we didn't have to pack a huge gigantic bag. We just grabbed the essentials and hopped the car.


We arrived on Coronado way before our checkin time and killed time by walking down the main strip. I love the town of Coronado and I especially love walking around the beautiful Hotel del Coronado. We weren't staying at that hotel, (maybe someday) but anybody can walk through the luxurious lobby and peruse underground specialty shops if your in the mood for a $400 shirt or a $30 box of jelly beans.


After stretching our legs, we had a quick lunch and headed to the Navy Base to go to our hotel. We checked in with a rather unpleasant hostess and put our bags down to go explore. The hotel we stayed at had a "rooftop terrace". It was basically an area on the top of the building with nice chairs and tables overlooking Breakers Beach. Tanner and I just recently discovered this private beach. It's amazing because you have to have a military I.D. to get on the base, so there aren't many people that get to go to this particular beach. It's way less crowded making it so much more relaxing and enjoyable. After checking out the rest of the hotel, we got in our swimsuits and headed down to the water. Tanner loves swimming in the ocean. He doesn't care how cold it is or what time of day it is, you'll always find him in the waves. I also enjoy swimming in the ocean, but only when its extremely hot out... I'm a bit of a baby;) Tanner swam and I relaxed for a few hours. After we had our fill of the beach, we cleaned up, grabbed a bite to eat
, and went into town again. 


There are an unbelievable amount of Pokémon on Coronado Island... There's even a median down the main street that people literally camp out on to play. Of course we just had to join them... How could you not? It was a fun atmosphere and everyone was having a great time. After about an hour of being lazy and enjoying playing Pokémon, we went back to base to see the new Jason Bourne movie in the free base theatre. The movie was just okay but what I love about being on base is that before every movie, they play the national anthem. I think it's amazing how a crowd of loud, excited people instantly stand, and come to the position of attention the second the national anthem begins playing, silently giving respect to our country. 


We ended the night with a moonlit walk on the beach. There's something almost magical about being on the beach at night. I love how peaceful and empty it is. I especially love the feeling of the sand in my toes and the cold beach air blowing in my face while I listen to the waves crash over and over. 


On Sunday, Tanner and I woke up and immediately went to find breakfast. If you know me at all, you know that the second I wake up I have to have food in my mouth. We were beyond disappointed with the contintental breakfast at the hotel, so we hopped in the car and headed to our favorite breakfast place on Coronado, Claytons. Clayton's is a little hole in the wall place but it has some of the best food that I've ever tasted. It is all homemade and fresh and the atmosphere has an old-fashioned diner feel that I love. After breakfast, we headed back to the beach for an hour or so for some last minute swimming before we had to check out of the hotel. The ending of a fun trip like that is always hard but our short staycation really gave Tanner and I some much needed relaxation time. I felt so refreshed and energized for the new week and I am looking forward to doing another staycation again sometime very soon. 




Have you taken a staycation recently? What do you like about them?











3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an absolutely spectacular staycation! Probably better than most of my vacations even.

    It's been about a year since our last staycation but we do have plans for one in November or December which I'm really excited about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree! I never thought I'd like staycations as much as I do :)

      Delete
  2. I still have yet to check out Coronado Island! But then again, we've only been here a couple weeks haha it looks so pretty! We'll have to check it out next week on my husband's day off.

    xo, Keating | Mimosas and Manicures
    www.mimosasandmanicures.com

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>