Still Waiting for my Hard Work to Pay Off

This isn't something that I usually like to talk about, but I thought with school back in session, now is a good time to discuss something that has been on my mind.

First, let me start with some background. I graduated college with my elementary education degree in 3 years. Typically, the program takes 4 but I wanted to be done with college. I went to my advisor after my first semester and I asked her how I could graduate in as little time as possible. We created a plan that included taking classes all year round. I was taking 6-8 classes each semester while everyone else was taking 4 or 5. I took summer classes and winter classes and I just did not stop. When graduation day came last May I was so relieved to finally be finished. I had worked my butt off and I was so proud of my accomplishment. I was so excited and I felt ready to start my career. 


Prior to graduation, I knew that I was going to move to San Diego. In April, I began applying for jobs in all of the different districts in the area. I moved in August and about two days after school started last year, I realized that getting a teaching job was not going to happen. I applied to so many different school districts but there weren't many jobs out there. Feeling defeated, I applied to be a substitute in the Poway Unified School District. I began substitute teaching in September of last year and it ended up being a great opportunity. I'm extremely thankful for my year as a substitute teacher because it gave me a chance to experience the different grade levels. Prior to subbing, I thought I would always want to teach elementary school. However, last school year I had two long term sub jobs at different middle schools and I absolutely loved it. I had a great time and found that middle school was where I "fit" the best. I related with the students in a way that I hadn't been able to before and I just loved going to work. Substituting also gave me a chance to try different classroom management strategies and to see how other teachers ran their own classrooms. I was able to make contacts with principals and the administrative staff. Overall, it felt like a really productive year where I learned what kind of teacher I wanted to be. 


This year, I started applying for jobs in Poway Unified and all over San Diego to be a full-time teacher. I had made many contacts in the Poway District and at the start of summer, I felt hopeful. Unfortunately, school started a week ago and I am still without a teaching job. Just like last year, there just aren't jobs available. It's a huge let down. I graduated over a year ago and I can't seem to find a job in my field. It makes all of my hard work seem pointless. I know many people in different fields of work have found themselves in a similar predicament. It's so easy to feel sad and discouraged about it but I'm choosing to look at things in a different light. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Looking back at my life, I can usually see why things have happened the way that they have. Right now, I don't know exactly why I'm not meant to have a teaching job but I know there's a reason. Maybe it's because I'm not prepared enough or maybe its just because it's just not my time yet. Whatever the case may be, I'm confident that something great is bound to come out of this. So for now, I'll spend the next year working on my teaching skills through substituting and I won't get down about not having my own classroom. Instead, I will try to touch the lives of the students that I do get to be with, even if its only for a day at a time. 







'

Do you have a similar experience to share? I would love to hear from you! 

12 comments:

  1. I am in a very similar situation! I also graduated with an education degree, applied to almost every school in the area where my husband is stationed, and assumed I’d get a job right away. Over a year later, I do have a job, but not in my field. People always ask me when I’m going to be a teacher, and it breaks my heart not knowing what to tell them. It feels like the clock is ticking a little bit too, because I know the army will move us soonish, so the closer we get to that date, the less likely it is that I’ll get a teaching job here. But for now, we can be thankful for the jobs that we do have! I’m looking forward to reading about your journey and hoping that all your hard work pays off soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand! Being a military wife makes finding a job even more stressful because you know you'll be moving again soon! <3 Hang in there!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I'm sorry!! When I graduated six years ago, it was the same way... no teaching jobs, at least where I had just moved to in Colorado. All my friends back home in Missouri were accepting job offers early in the summer, and I was so bummed. I luckily secured a job near the end of summer, but it was sooo stressful, and I had to drive pretty far every day for it. I was able to find a much better one (and much closer!) the following year. I submitted 85 applications one summer. It's rough. I'm sorry you're dealing with this right now, but at least you got the experience subbing and were able to figure out how much you like middle school! I went to college to teach high school, but when the only job available was middle school, I took it... and fell in LOVE with that age. I stopped applying to high schools after that and just looooove 7th and 8th graders (wasn't so fond of 6th graders... a little too squirrelly for me, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww what a good story! I'm not totally giving up hope :) I'm sure theres some reason that I'm meant to not have a job this year! But I agree, I love the middle school ages and even after I went to school for elementary! They're just so fun :)

      Delete
  3. I know EXACTLY what you're going through. Finding a real job (salaried, in my field of interest, etc.) was such a huge source of stress after I finished college. I was a complete basket case. But I also became a big believer that everything works out well and no experience you have is wasted. Good luck with finding teaching jobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!<3 I know that there are many people out there in the same boat as me so that makes me feel better at least!

      Delete
  4. I've heard it's very tough to break into teaching, but once you're in the most rewarding.

    You'll get there!

    I have been hoping for my work to pay off as well, I'm in a career I don't love and am currently finishing up some night classes to enhance my degree and make a big shift! here's hoping it pans out...

    xxox
    Laura @ www.cookwineandthinker.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely! That's why I'm dying to get into teaching so I can start making a difference and enjoying my career :)

      Good luck on your night classes! I'm sure it will work out for both of us!

      Delete
  5. I totally get the feeling of "all the hard work not paying off". I have a degree and had a great job in CA then we got stationed in NC. I'm struggling to find a job. I'm now trying to focus on going to grad school. A door closes, another one opens, right? Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you<3 I absolutely believe that! I'm sure we'll both find our perfect jobs soon enough :)

      Delete
  6. This is my biggest fear. I have an AS in Business Administration and a BA in Communications and Public Relations. When we moved to San Diego a couple weeks ago, I started applying to places non-stop to find something in public relations or marketing. Being that it's San Diego and there's a TON here, I figured it wouldn't be too challenging to find something. Well here I am with zero phone calls or leads. Which really sucks. BUT my communications degree has helped my blog tremendously. So I feel myself focusing more of my energy on my blog and building my own company at this point. So my fingers are crossed that everything works out in the end :)

    xo, Keating | Mimosas and Manicures
    www.mimosasandmanicures.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry and know the feeling all too well. I hope something comes through for you soon!

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>