Why I Sleep in a Sports Bra

Exercising in the morning isn't easy. Especially if you're like me, and you would do anything to get an extra 5 minutes of sleep. But I choose to exercise in the morning! And here's why: 


1. It gives me less time to talk myself out of it
This is a big one for me. If I waited until later to workout then by the time the afternoon rolls around, I've come up with hundreds of "really good" reasons why I shouldn't workout. I make working out my number one priority and the first thing I do in the morning so there's no room for excuses. If my schedule changes, so does my alarm. 

2. It puts me in a better mood.
Im hardly ever excited to get up an hour early to exercise (especially when my pillow and bed feel SO comfy). But when I'm done I almost always have a better attitude and it sets my day off on the right foot. When you exercise your body releases endorphins which trigger positive feelings. I've come home from the gym or a run in the morning many times and Tanner will say "wow you're in a good mood! Bet you're glad you worked out this morning!" And it's true. I never regret working out. But I almost always regret hitting the snooze button and going back to bed.

3. I feel more focused.
My morning workouts give me a huge boost of energy. I always feel more awake and focused on the job in front of me. By the time I get to work, I've already been up for a couple of hours so I'm ready to concentrate on the tasks I have ahead of me instead of feeling groggy and distracted. 

4. I eat healthier.
This one may just be me, but when I start my morning with a workout, I usually eat healthier that day. I don't want to screw up my early morning workout with unhealthy food. I feel healthier having worked out so I crave things that are good for me. Your body is smart, it knows that an eggo waffle doesn't have the nutrients it needs to recover after a workout. 

5. I am more productive. 
No matter what lies ahead of me each day, after a morning workout I feel better knowing  that I accomplished something. I like to set goals for myself and one of my goals is to work out 4-5 times a week, so when I do wake up and exercise I feel great knowing I'm working towards my goal. Another benefit of morning workouts is that they free up your evenings. There's nothing better then getting home after a long day of work knowing that the only thing left on your schedule is guilt-free relaxation. 

How do you stay motivated to wake up early to exercise?

Well, it isn't easy. I can't sit here and say that I wake up every morning excited to workout but I do one silly thing that helps me to get out of bed in the morning. I sleep in my workout clothes. I sleep in workout clothes almost every night because I've found that even the few minutes it takes me to change out of PJ's and into workout clothes is enough time for my bed rope me back in. Sleeping in my workout clothes allow me to just jump out of bed, put shoes on and run out the door before my mind has time to figure out what I'm doing. 
I encourage you to try exercising in the morning! Set your alarm an hour earlier and go out for a run or hit the gym. I promise it will do good things for you and you won't regret it.



 Who else enjoys morning workouts? What motivates you?

6 comments:

  1. I definitely prefer working out in the morning to get it over with for the day. Plus, it's easier for me before the baby wakes up for the day. However, that doesn't always happen, so I try to be flexible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely! I think being flexible is important as well :) it's a good habit for me to get in before we have kids!

      Delete
  2. In college when I had more time to exercise, I would leave my shoes beside my bed so that when I got up I'd trip over them and be forced to put them on and go for a workout even though I was half asleep. That way I never noticed until halfway through my workout that I was at the gym and I might as well finish the workout now! I get exercise a bit more organically now so I don't do it anymore though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I usually put my shoes by the door too :) I just found I have even more motivation when I'm sleeping in my workout clothes!

      Delete
  3. I dont sleep in my workout clothes, but I leave them nicely folded so that when my feet touch the floor at 6am they are literally underfoot waiting for me to pull them on.

    right next to my unlaced running shoes ;)

    xxox
    Laura @ www.cookwineandthinker.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I think at least setting clothes out is a good way to get motivated :)

      Delete

 
//]]>