4 Years Down, 1 To Go. Our Military Story.

This last Saturday, September 10th, was Tanner's 4 year mark in the Marines. I cannot believe that 4 years have already come and gone! I still remember saying goodbye to him Labor Day weekend of 2012. We weren't dating then, but we were the best of friends. We both liked each other but neither of us wanted to pursue a long distance relationship. After a short but exciting weekend, I said my final goodbyes to him and went back to Arizona. A I gave him a big hug and cried my eyes out when he dropped me off at the airport and I cried even harder when I said goodbye to him on the phone a couple of days later.
Family Day 
The Marines have a 13 week long boot camp and during that time you can only communicate by letters that are few and far between. At the time, I was in my freshman year of college in a dorm. I remember going downstairs everyday and asking the people at the front desk of the dorm if the mail had come yet. By the end of the 13 weeks, every front desk employee knew me by name and without me having to ask, they'd tell me whether or not the mail had come. It was a tough 13 weeks but in some crazy way, it brought us closer together. I was able to go to family day which takes place the day before graduation from boot camp. It is the first time that families are able to see their new Marines after 3 long months. I was so excited to see him and so proud. It was the best feeling to get a hug from him and just be around him. The day came and went much too quickly. Unfortunately, I had to catch a flight back to Arizona that night to take a college final so I had to miss graduation. However, I was grateful for those few hours together.


Roughly a week after family day, I went to visit Tanner in Washington (while he was on leave) and he asked me to be his girlfriend. He was going to be in California for training, and I lived in Arizona which made long distance a little easier. We were long distance up until this last October when I finally moved to California. I am grateful to the military because of the independence and stability that it has provided us with. I truly believe that its because of the military that we have such a strong relationship.Don't get me wrong, the military has not made our lives easy, but I firmly believe that if we can survive a 5 year enlistment and a 7 month deployment, then we can survive anything.  Tanner only has one more year of his enlistment left. It's hard to imagine what our lives will be like after the military. I'm so proud of my husband for making the decision to join the Marine Corps. I think it's been a life changing experience, and I will always look back on this time fondly. Tanner and I have some big changes coming in 2017. Stay tuned to see where our next adventure takes us. 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you<3 and thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds excruciating! But I agree that if you can stay close during this period, you can make it through anything. Good luck and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) The 4 years honestly feels like it flew by!

      Delete
  3. So sweet! Can't wait to see your next adventure takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm so excited to share soon!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a journey! Good luck with the last year and the exciting changes ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, congrats! That's so awesome that he's almost finished. My husband hit the ten year mark in the Air Force in June, and he still has more than ten years left of his commitment (it's a LONG commitment for pilots) - but we love the lifestyle, so it's okay with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4 years can really fly by when you look back on it! Have fun with this last year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so sweet! I have so much admiration and respect for military and their families. Can't wait to see what's in store for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish Zack only had a year left haha he's been in for 6 now and I've been around for 3 of those years. He gets out at the end of 2018 so we have just over 2 years left. It's definitely not the easiest life and I am more than ready and excited to move on from the military and start that next chapter.

    xo, Keating | Mimosas and Manicures
    www.mimosasandmanicures.com

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>