Fall Bucket List: All things Apple

This weekend, Tanner and I decided to do a couple of the items on my fall bucket list. We woke up Saturday morning, bright and early, and rushed off to our big adventure. We went apple picking! This is something that we normally wouldn’t have done but it was on the list and something that I was excited to try.
There's a town called Julian that’s only about an hour away from our house. The drive there is beautiful because trees and mountains surround you. Julian is a pretty small, cute town. There is the main street that has a couple of antique shops and a few restaurants. If you continue past the main street there's quite a few different types of farms and orchards. We went to an apple orchard called “Volcan Valley Apple Farms”. When we arrived, there were many different apple trees as far as the eye could see. At this particular farm they charge $12 for a bag and then you can pick as many apples that will fit in the bag. They also allow you to try the different apples while you're picking. Tanner and I had a blast and ate more apples then I'd care to admit. We enjoyed apple picking so much that we decided its something we’ll definitely be doing again. It was so fun searching through the trees to try to find the best, store-quality apples.


We had eaten a light breakfast so after an hour or so of apple picking, we decided it was time for lunch. We found this adorable little barn looking restaurant that served wood-fired pizzas. We ate and enjoyed sitting by the window with the fresh air. It was so relaxing. There was a nice breeze and it was a beautiful sunny day.

If you have ever been to Julian then you know of a place called “Julian Pie Company”. It's a small bakery that serves... you guessed it... pie. That was our next stop on our day trip. They have many different varieties of pie but they're famous for the apple pie. It is to die for. It's absolutely amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Tanner and I savored every bite.
We had other errands and things to do Saturday so we left Julian and headed home with full stomachs.

That evening we tackled the next thing on my list: bake a homemade pie. We had picked 18 apples that morning so we had plenty of apples to use on a pie. Tanner and I took turns doing different tasks. I was in charge of peeling the apples and he did pretty much everything else. I'm not the best at cooking ;) Even on my one task I somehow ended up slicing my fingernail with the apple peeler. We still had a great time though. After putting the pie together, we had to wait a whole hour for the pie to bake! It was hard to wait as our entire house filled with the smell of delicious apple pie. When it was finally finished, we rushed to the grocery store to get some ice cream to have with it. It was again, absolutely amazing pie. Even the crust tasted great, which is usually my least favorite part of a pie. In the end, I think our homemade pie was just as good as the Julian Pie Company's pie.  


It was such a fun day accomplishing two items off of my fall bucket list. I'm so excited to keep working on it the next few months :) We got to try two things that we’ve never done before and ended up enjoying them both quite a bit.  Have you ever been apple picking or made homemade apple pie?

Here's my fall bucket list in case you missed it on my last post. Feel free to join me in doing all the items on this list before Thanksgiving


17 comments:

  1. Love it! I'd love to pick my own apples at some point. Your pie looks amazing! Apple pie is definitely one of my favorites, especially when it's warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I couldn't agree more! Nothing better then warm apple pie!

      Delete
  2. That pie looks amazing - and I don't even like pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! :) It sure was delicious. Well worth the couple of hours it took us to make it!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome date day! That pie looks delicious!

    P.S. I'm like you, I'd cut myself and then let my husband make the pie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! :) And oh absolutely... I find any reason to let him take over when it comes to cooking ;)

      Delete
  4. That apple farm looks so fun!! I love fun fall outings like that :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast! I am so glad I found something like it so close to our home.

      Delete
  5. I'll admit--the first time I went apple picking it was because "all the other bloggers were doing it," but once we went for the first time, we've been hooked ever since! I can totally see why the u-pick thing is so popular now--the produce is way better, you feel good supporting local growers, and you get to spend a gorgeous afternoon outside.

    Glad you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a blast?! I have been eating on the apples all week and I agree that it's way better then the produce you get at the store :) Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  6. It's so nice to see an all apple post for fall and not just pumpkin, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I feel you on that one! ;) I love that its apple season again!

      Delete
  7. What a great outing! Thanks for stopping by my blog and your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all :) Thank you for stopping by as well! I highly recommend apple picking. It was a blast!

      Delete
  8. Love it! Fall is my most absolute favorite time of year. I so wish we had apple orchards near us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun :) You'll just have to come to San Diego to go to an apple orchard! It's a great excuse for a vacation!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>