I Loved Her First: Daddy-Daughter Dance

I have always had a close relationship with my parents. My sisters used to make fun of me growing up, because I'd tell my mom and dad everything, I just couldn't help it. Even now I still can't seem to keep a secret from either of them. I think that's part of the reason why I'm so close to them to this day. When I was younger, My dad and I used to go on a lot of walks together. on those walks, I would vent to him about all the problems going on in my life. He would always listen to me and give me sound advice, which was usually just what I needed to get through a hard day. My dad and I have very similar personalities, which is another reason why I think we get along so well. He has always been there for me whenever I need him and I am so thankful for the relationship we have. He's caring, encouraging, compassionate, hardworking, thoughtful, loving and so much more. I really couldn't ask for a better father.
All images © by Sasha Reiko Photography | www.sashareiko.com



In the months leading up to my wedding, my dad and I had multiple conversations about what our daddy daughter dance song should be. There were a few different songs we were choosing between. We both knew we wanted to choose a song that was special to us so we took the task of picking the song very seriously. About a year before my wedding, I found the song "I Loved Her First" by Heartland and immediately started crying. I called my dad and asked him to listen to it. I got a call back a few minutes later, he was crying as well. He said that it was the perfect song for us. I felt like we both just knew that it was meant to be. I have always paid extra attention to the lyrics of songs and I felt like the lyrics to this song described our relationship perfectly. 


How could that beautiful woman with you
Be the same freckled face kid that I knew
The one that I read all those fairytales to
And tucked into bed all those nights
I knew the first time I saw you with her
It was only a matter of time
 
I was a freckled face kid and both my dad and mom would tuck me into bed every night of my childhood. My dad has a great relationship with Tanner. When I met him in the 7th grade, my dad knew that at some point we'd end up being more then “just friends.” And sure enough, he was right. When Tanner asked my dads permission to propose, my dad wasn't the slightest bit surprised. He immediately said yes but I think part of him was sad knowing that meant he would be giving me away.


But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep

And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But its still hard to give her away
I loved her first 
      
Growing up, my dad and I went to a couple of daddy-daughter dances. My dad has always been a sentimental man and I can remember him always being thrilled to get to dance with his daughters. He cherished those dances and the memories that he made with us during them. He was beyond excited to dance with me on my wedding day. When the song finally came on we both cried while swaying to the music. We were both so focused on each other and lost in the moment. We ignored everything else going on and just appreciated the lyrics of the song and our final daddy-daughter dance together. I think we both realized in that moment that he was officially giving me to Tanner. It was such a sweet dance and it’s a memory that I'll hold dear to my heart for the rest of my life. I'm so lucky to have grown up with such a great dad. It doesn't matter how old I get or where life takes me, I'll always be my daddy's little girl.




5 comments:

  1. So beautiful! My dad and I danced to "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw, which was "our song" when I graduated high school and continued to be special to us, so it was a no brainer for what we would dance to on the big day!

    That photo is so gorgeous!! <3

    xoxo
    Grady

    www.gradybirdblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the song my daddy and I danced to at my wedding too!!! Such a beautiful song and a beautiful story behind it. Thanks for sharing such a special memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Thanks for sharing a sweet memory.

    We danced to Isn't She Lovely by Ray Charles, and I can tell you it was one of my favourite memories of my wedding too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song!! So sweet and love how close you and your parents are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww this is so beautiful! You sound like you have a special and beautiful relationship with your Dad ... what a blessing! Hold onto it :) I love that photo too - so sweet! You can see the love and care He has for you, and how you feel so secure in His arms :)

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>