Stress is a Choice


Stress is a choice. This is something that a friend used to say to me all the time. Throughout high school, college and most of my life, so far, I have always seemed to be stressed about something. Whether it was a big test that I had coming up or something as simple as what I was going to eat for dinner, I was always finding myself feeling stressed. Stress can be extremely hard on you and it was really hard on me. Not only can stress cause you to be more irritable but it can also have a negative impact on your health. Your body needs a chance to relax.


I never understood what my friend meant by stress was a choice. I would just look at her and say "I'm not choosing to be this way! It's because of the circumstances that I feel stressed!” Recently, I realized how wrong I was. Your attitude and how you react to things is a choice. Rather than choosing to be stressed for a big test this week, I could choose to have a positive attitude knowing that I would do well on it because I knew the material. Or rather than being stressed out that I don't have enough time in the day to accomplish everything that I want to do, I could choose to be happy knowing that I am doing the best that I can.

Stress is such a useless emotion. It's hard to be productive and focused when you're stressed so just don't be. Instead, try looking at it from a new perspective. I started doing this in my own life and I have noticed how little I should be stressing.

I came up with a list of 5 ways to reduce stress in your life:



1. Exercise
I’m sure you’ve heard this time and time again. It’s truly the best way to reduce stress and clear your mind. Even if all you have is 10 minutes to spare, go on a quick walk! Do some yoga poses. Most importantly, take the time to re-focus your thoughts for the day to be positive and stress-free.


2. Deep Breathing
There are many different deep breathing exercises that you can do. A quick google search and you can find a huge variety. The best part of deep breathing exercises is that they don’t take more than a minute to do.  My favorite exercise is what they call the “4-7-8”. It’s very simple. You breath in for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds and then let it out for 8 seconds while pushing out as much air as possible. Repeat this a couple of times and you’ll be sure to feel more relaxed.


3. Do One Act of Kindness
My favorite thing to do when I am feeling overwhelmed is to do something for someone else. It could be as simple as taking out the trash so your husband doesn’t have to or bringing your neighbor their mail. I always feel good when I take time to do an act of kindness for someone else. When was the last time you treated a stranger to a coffee just because?

4. Make a Priority List
I used to do this in college all the time when I’d get overwhelmed. I would make a list and put the task that I needed to do the most at the top. Then, I listed everything else in order of importance. This helped me focus on what I needed to accomplish first. It also helped me feel more relaxed knowing that I had an action plan in place. As an added bonus, it feels great to cross things off of a list knowing that you’re being productive!

5. Talk it Out
I do this one all the time. Whenever I’m feeling stressed, it sometimes just helps to talk to one of my family members about it. Often times when I actually say what’s causing me stress out loud, it helps me realize how small it really is. It also gives me a chance to just vent and get help from my loved ones.


Try one of these tips out the next time that you're feeling stressed. It can't hurt to try a new way to relax and change your perspective! 

Are you currently stressing about something in your own life? What do you do to relax when you’re feeling stressed?

14 comments:

  1. I love the idea of helping someone else - it just makes you feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I think it's so important :)

      Delete
  2. Yoga and evaluating my priorities always helps me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently overwhelmed but I have to remind myself that there is a positive reason for why I am. Thanks for the reminders. I like also think music can help.

    Floradise blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about music! I listen to certain songs when I'm stressed :) I hope you start feeling better and not so overwhelmed!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing!!! I love this post and really encouraged me. I even share it in my Five on Friday post. :)

    http://www.meshkomoments.com/five-on-friday-5/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You're so sweet <3 I loved your Five on Friday post :)

      Delete
  5. Stress is not normally a struggle for me, but I'm going through some hard and scary stuff right now and yep--stress has raised its ugly head and isn't helping anything! Thanks for the reminder that even though it's sometimes not easy to make the choice to NOT stress, I do have that choice available to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear you're having a hard time! Try to focus on the positives! That always helps me. Hang in there<3

      Delete
  6. I want to say easier said than done but I understand what your telling us. Will give all of these a try anything to be calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely easier said then done! Hang in there<3

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately I struggle with constantly feeling stressed. These are great tips to relieve it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel! <3 Always try to focus on the positives :)

      Delete

 
//]]>