4 Reasons Why I Chose To Get Married Young

I'm not one of those girls. I have been married for less then 4 months, I'm 22 years old and my marriage is strong. There's a harsh stigma against people in my generation that get married young. I can't tell you how many times I've heard:"Oh wow! You're married? But you look so young..." I respond to these comments with a smile and a polite "Yes" and move along with the conversation. But the truth is, I hate when people say this to me. I hate feeling like I'm being talked down to because I am married at 22 years old. And I especially hate that the people saying this to me feel like they know my situation because they don't. Every marriage and relationship is different and it's unfair for someone to judge mine simply because of my age. I don't think that you have any control over what age you fall in love. For me, I was lucky and met my soul mate at 13 years old.  Some people don't find their soul mate until they're much older in life. And either way is okay. 
Look at how little we were! 

I get asked the question "Why?" a lot. Why did you get married so young? Isn't it hard? Don't you want to still live your life without being tied down to someone? These questions have been on my mind a lot recently, I thought now was a great time to make a post about it. Here are my 5 reasons why I chose to get married young:


1. It gives me more time to be with my soul mate. 
"Forever could never be long enough for me, to feel like I've had long enough with you" - Song: Marry Me Artist: Train

I am beyond thrilled to get to get to spend so much of my life with my best friend. We have time to travel together, exploring different states and countries, before we're ready to "settle down" and have a family. We get to create more memories together then we would if we got married later in life, and that means the world to me. Who wouldn't want to spend as much time as possible with the love of their life? 


2. We don't have baggage.

Both my husband and I are so young that neither of us come with a lot of "baggage". We're both each other's first real relationship. We don't have a bunch of exes that changed the way we view relationships. We get to start our marriage with a clean slate and grow together.

3. I was ready. 

I don't think that's how it works for everyone, but for me, I just knew. I knew what Tanner and I had was special when I was still just 13 years old. We were friends for many years before finally dating after high school. At the age of 21 when Tanner proposed, I was beyond ready. I was eager to start a life together. When you know, you just know. 
Notice the banner in the top left corner of the picture? Tanner had a plane fly over Coronado Island with that banner and then he got down on one knee and proposed<3 

4. Marriage isn't the end of all fun, it's the beginning

I have many people ask me why I chose to "settle down" so soon. Marriage doesn't mean settling down to me. I mean sure, the days of hitting the bars and clubs are over but I have more fun just sitting at home watching a movie on a Friday night with my husband then I ever did clubbing. The things we do now are more stress-free and enjoyable. All the anxiety of awkward first dates is replaced by care-free afternoons spending time with the one you love. There's no more feeling like you constantly have to impress. You already have someone you can be yourself around who loves you for who you are. 

Here's my advice for those of you that are getting married young. Go into marriage thinking that divorce is not an option. Period. If you go into marriage thinking that you can just "get out" when things get tough, then maybe marriage isn't for you. I made the decision to get married at 22 and I'm thrilled with my choice. But marriage is not for the faint hearted. It takes time, dedication and effort on both parts.


"A strong marriage requires two people who chose to love each other even on the days when it's hard to like each other"

 I'm still obsessing over our wedding pictures. Our photographer was amazing<3
All images © by Sasha Reiko Photography | www.sashareiko.com

11 comments:

  1. I adore this! I was married at 21 and we have been married for over 4 years! I believe being married young brings so many benefits- we get to do life together, experience life together, struggle together, celebrate together! I wouldn't have it any other way :)

    http://beyondblessedblog.com/

    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/beyond-blessed-blog-4561617

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thank you for sharing<3 I love hearing about others who felt like getting married young was the right choice for them :)

      Delete
  2. I love this so much. All that matters is that you were both ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I got married at 24 and after almost a decade I wouldn't change a thing. We've been together since we were 19, so we have done a lot of growing up together and understand each other is ways most people can't understand. I pray you will continue to enjoy and celebrate your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words! I love to hear other stories of people getting married young and it working out for them. Thank you for sharing<3

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Your pictures are beautiful! Yes! My husband and I got married at 19 and five years later with two kids, we wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love hearing stories like that! And thank you so much :) I am so happy with my choice to get married young.

      Delete
  5. I think it's awesome you got married young. Like you said, every relationship is different for everyone. I wish I got married young and started a family when I was younger. I'm in my early 40s and have a toddler and I get sad thinking about how I might not live long enough to see her grow up and get married and stuff. We don't know what life has to offer but we have to just enjoy the moments and live it to the fullest. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also got married at 22. AS a Mormon, that is the average age of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this so much!!! I did a similar post on my blog today, so you're not alone! I couldn't agree more with "marriage isn't the end of all fun, it's the beginning!"

    http://abbysaylor.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>