First Camping Trip as a Married Couple

I sat in my car on Saturday morning with a feeling of excitement at the adventure that lay ahead. Tanner and I were on our way to our first camping trip as a married couple! If you know us at all, you know that we're very outdoorsy people. We love hiking, camping and pretty much any activity that involves being outside. It's been over 2 years since we last went on a camping trip so we were both eager to get to the camping site.

We arrived at Mount Laguna, after about an hour drive. The first camping spot we stopped at was completely full but the host suggested we try a different one up the road. We arrived at Burnt Rancheria campground to find that they had 50 open spots! We spent an hour driving around, trying to find the "perfect" spot. We found one that was fairly close to the bathroom with plenty of shade and in a fairly private location with not many neighbors close by.


We unpacked and got our tent set up immediately. We arrived at the campsite super early on Saturday so that we could spend as much time as possible at Mount Laguna. We were only staying one night so we wanted to make the most of our time. Most of Saturday was spent exploring. We started by going through town. We found a cute shop that we picked up some last minute essentials in. And we stopped by the information center to see what kind of hiking trails were in the area. The park ranger gave us a suggestion and we were on our way. We did a hike called Sunset Hills. It was more of a nature walk but we were able to climb on top of huge boulders and see some gorgeous views. After our "hike" we headed back to the camp site. We spent some time playing dice, cards and even reading. It was the most relaxed that I've felt in a long time.
Our campsite came with a fire pit and picnic table :) 
Tanner clearly loves me making him take a bunch of pictures ;) 
We had some pretty amazing views on our nature walk. 

When  the sun started to go down, Tanner made us a fire while I layered up. I wore 2 different pants and 3 jackets because I was so cold! Meanwhile, Tanner was in a short sleeve shirt and shorts... Opposites attract right? ;)  We had baked beans and hot dogs along with a ham and cheese sandwich for dinner. It was delicious but super filling. We sat by the fire awhile, just talking and enjoying the feeling of not having anything we HAD to do. 

After letting our food settle for a awhile, I made s'mores (another item on my fall bucket list) while Tanner made a nutella and banana sandwhich for dessert ;) We sat around the fire awhile before getting ready for bed. 

We were lucky and there happened to be a full moon that evening. We spent some time stargazing (again, on my fall bucket list). I was amazed at how bright the moon was, we didn't even need flashlights! Once it got too cold to be outside any longer, we bundled up and headed to bed. 
The sandwiches were so good. Tanner used his new pie iron to make them! 
We bought these marshmallows that were "s'mores size". They were huge and delicious!
It was super windy all night long. There were many times that I woke up in the middle of the night to our tent shaking. At about 3 in the morning, I got up to use the restroom and when I came  back Tanner zipped the tent up without any problems. I noticed that through the tent, I could see our fire still burning (due to all of the wind) so I quickly unzipped the tent and Tanner went to put it out. Well... it turns out that when I unzipped the tent, I pulled too hard and broke the zipper. We spent an hour trying to fix it but it was impossible without any tools. We finally ended up going to sleep with our tent open which was FREEZING. We both had a pretty restless sleep after that.

We woke up the next morning, made some breakfast and packed up. It was a short camping trip but a much needed one! We both enjoyed having some unwinding and relaxation time. I can't wait to go again soon once we buy a new tent :)

I accomplished 3 more items on my fall bucket list this weekend! Have you done any of these items?

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! My husband wants to go primitive camping... I'm all about having a bathroom nearby so we may be doing some compromising. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Those s'mores look amazing - I think I may need to make some of those ASAP myself. I am sure it wasn't quite so funny at the time, but breaking the zipper on the tent will be a good story to tell down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended Toronto Oktoberfest earlier this month if that counts as a "Fall Festival." It was pretty interesting given that we have strict liquor laws in Ontario and have limited imports. However, our Provincial Government allowed for Erdinger to be sold at this event giving Toronto Oktoberfest a little more "authenticity" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun. S'mores would definitely be a must for any camping trip I went on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I went on our first married camping trip this past weekend too! It was so much fun, and I love how bright the moon and stars are when you get away from the big cities. And GIIRRLL those marshmallows are the bomb! We used those for our s'mores and they turned out PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun!! I haven't been camping in such a long time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun time! Hope you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, glad you all had fun! It looks beautiful up there, and the campfire food looks amazing! Cheers to many more happy adventures in the years to come as a married couple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super funny trip! :)

    http://julesonthemoon.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>