Pumpkin Bars and Puzzle Pieces


As we sat on the couch, while watching House of Cards on Nextflix, we began to notice the smell of  pumpkin coming from the kitchen. It was almost time to try our new fall dessert. Last weekend, Tanner and I tried a new pumpkin recipe! I found one on pinterest for healthy pumpkin bars. My mom makes pumpkin bars every year and they are delicious, but unfortunately they're not exactly diet-friendly ;). By using applesauce in place of some of the butter and sugar, we were able to make pumpkin bars that you can eat without feeling guilty. Making the pumpkin bars was a nice way to spend time together and they turned out great. Since there is only two of us, the recipe left us with a lot of leftovers. Tanner will take the rest of them to work to share and maybe next time we'll cut the batch in half. Here's the recipe we used: Healthy Pumpkin Bars
The batter is coming together! 
Having second thoughts on our ability to eat all of these...
Tanner insisted that I wait to let them cool before I frosted them. I was SO ready to eat them by this point. 
 Tanner loves frosting ;) 
Finished product! 
Remember that fall puzzle we were working on? Well I'm happy to announce that WE FINALLY FINISHED IT! Well, almost... to our dismay, there was one puzzle piece missing. ONE. I about died when I figured that out. :0 We spent hours looking for it but it was gone. Luckily I don't think it's super obvious...see if you can spot it in the picture below :)

Tanner and I had a fun time putting the puzzle together, but I'm going to be honest here and say that putting together such a large puzzle was more work then I bargained for. I kept starting dinner late because I would get sucked into working on the puzzle ;) I also made the mistake of starting the puzzle on our kitchen table. It was constantly in the way and we spent many nights eating dinner with our plates on top of puzzle pieces. My aunt is a puzzle fanatic and suggested that in the future we put the puzzle on a card table so we can put away when we aren't working on it. I'll definitely be doing that next time! This is a tradition I would like to continue each year. 
 Above is the finished puzzle, It's not the best picture so I included the picture on the bottom so you can see what it was supposed to look like :) 

really love my Fall Bucket List, which you can see below. I was just telling my husband this weekend that this list is forcing me to try new things and I'm really enjoying it!  You can read about the items we've done so far herehere and here. As of today, we've managed to complete 5 out of the 19 items on my fall bucket list. We have a fun weekend planned ahead where I'll be checking a few more things off the list. Stay tuned. 

Do you have your own fall bucket list? What new things have you tried this fall? 



14 comments:

  1. That picture of Tanner! SO funny! Must be some tasty frosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that so funny?! ;) The frosting was definitely his favorite part!

      Delete
  2. I love pumpkin bars and the fact that you made these healthier!! A puzzle is so fun and you really can't tell there is a piece missing at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am obsessed with all things pumpkin but most of the recipes are unhealthy. I'm always looking for healthy versions of my favorite recipes!

      Thank you<3 I was so upset when I discovered we lost one! I'm glad you can't tell :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Definitely! As a bonus they make your house smell amazing :)

      Delete
  4. WOW these look SO good! I have to make them asap!

    Rachel | www.theconfusedmillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious! You'll have to try them and let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my! These pumpkin bars look delicious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried making pumpkin bars but those look awesome! I definitely need to make some homemade treats for Halloween this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let me know if you do end up making them :)

      Delete
  7. Umm these look amazing and I love all things pumpkin so I probably should just make them for this weekend :) Love your bucket list!!

    happilyevergriedlscom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Pumpkin bars look delicious! I am definitely going to have to try and make some, plus the smell is to die for!

    Caitlin
    www.caitlinbethtaylor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>