Trying New Things; Submarines and Parasailing

This past weekend my grandparents, who I call my Nana and Papa came to visit. They live in Arizona and this was the first time in over a year that they've been able to come visit us. We had a wonderful weekend with them, on Saturday they took Tanner and I on a day trip to Catalina Island. 

Catalina Island is a small island off the coast of Los Angeles. The most practical way to get to Catalina Island is by boat. They have a few different boats that will get you there but the closest port to us was in Dana Point. Dana Point is about an hour drive from us, the earliest boat left at 7:15 AM and so we had to be up and out the door by 5 AM to be at the port about 45 minutes early to check in.

It was an early morning so I'm thankful that my Papa drove us all ;) I have been on many ferries in my life and so I had imagined that the boat we would be taking would be large like the ones I'm used to.I was wrong. The ferry was much smaller then I could have anticipated. The boat ride to Catalina was an hour and thirty minutes long and it was a rough ride. The waves tossed the boat around like a toy and at one point when Tanner and I walked down to the bottom deck to get snacks we had to hold onto seats, rails, and walls just to keep from falling over. Not the most relaxing ferry ride we've ever taken.

We were all relieved when we finally made it to the island. I was surprised to see just how small Catalina was. The city we explored was called Avalon and it covers only 1 square mile of the island. When we first arrived we weren't really sure where to start. We walked around for a little bit before deciding to rent a golf cart. I'm so glad we did. Tanner and I had a blast driving the golf cart but I don't think that my Nana and Papa were too impressed with our driving skills ;)If you ever take a trip to Catalina Island, I highly recommend renting a golf cart. We rented it for two hours and the rental company gave us a map showing us the route we should take to see all of Avalon. We were able to see SO much more with the golf cart then we would have if we had gone on foot. Even though the city is only a small, it is packed full of hills which would have made walking rather unpleasant. We were able to see some gorgeous views from our little golf cart tour including the mansion that the Wrigley's live in. If you don't know, the Wrigley brothers (the ones that created Wrigley gum *juicy fruit, big red, etc.*) own Catalina Island.

The look of sheer concentration; driving 10mph in our golf cart ;)
How cute are they?!

After we returned the golf cart, we ate a quick lunch and continued on with our exploring. There are a variety of tours offered on Catalina Island ranging from off-road Humvee tours to underwater submarine tours. We decided to take a submarine tour that took us to the famous "lover's cove" and allowed us to see hundreds of fish that swim right up the windows. It was a great tour that provided a unique experience  lasting about 45 minutes. 
 After the submarine tour, we walked around a little more and grabbed some snacks. While we were sitting and eating our snacks, I decided to look into a different tour company that offered parasailing. I asked Tanner what he thought about going parasailing and I could tell by the look on his face that he was totally into it. After a few minutes of debating, I built up my courage and decided I was in.

We rushed over to the tour place and were able to get on the tour leaving right at that moment. We left my Nana and Papa on shore and took off in the boat. I was so nervous. I'm a little scared of heights and this was really out of my comfort zone, but at the same time I couldn't help but be excited. They bring about 10 people on the boat and then they send you up in groups of 2 or 3. I was so glad I was able to do it right next to Tanner. We were one of the last groups to go which was tourture. They sent each group up for about 10 minutes at a time while we cruised around so I had to wait and watch each group go. When it was finally our turn, I was sweating bullets.  You start by sitting down on the back of the boat, and then when the boat starts moving, you just start floating into the air. It was such a smooth take off that I almost didn't notice we were off the boat. We went 800 feet in the air and the views were breathtaking. I am so glad that I decided to give it a try. It was an amazing experience that Tanner and I were able to share together and we will cherish the memory.
Right at take off! You can't tell but I'm squeezing onto the straps SO tight ;)
Can you believe how high we are?! 
When we made it back to land, the day was almost over. We went searching for some food and ended up grabbing sandwiches to eat on the boat ride back. we spent the last of our time playing in the sand and overlooking the water. It was such a fun trip and I'm thankful that we got to experience it with my grandparents. We had a great time together and it's one more thing I can cross off my San Diego bucket list :)

Have you been on any fun trips recently? I would love to hear about them! 

4 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun! Yay for new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! Just loved reading your post!

    xo,
    Ally

    www.gumbootglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandparents are the absolute cutest!! And this looks like such a fun little day or exploring with them!! We love parasailing, but have never done a submarine tour. Will have to check that out! That looks awesome :)

    I currently have a Travel Tuesday linkup going on that this post would be perfect for! Feel free to join in on the fun!! http://www.lifessweetwords.com/2016/10/traveltuesday-9-my-cruise-must-haves.html

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! We are planning a trip up and down the East Coast soon. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
//]]>